Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi, I am interseted in buying a horse and the owner has told

Hi, I am interseted in buying a horse and the owner has told me he had a gastric ulcer in october which has now resolved. I do not know much about this, what questions should i ask and is it advisable to buy a horse that has had this condition?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Gastric ulcers are very common in horses,

Dr. Drew :

especially in horses that tend to be more on the "hot" or high-strung side of the range of personalities,

Dr. Drew :

it's also a risk in horses that are stall-kept rather than on pasture.\

Dr. Drew :

It's a treatable condition, but can recur at any time.

Dr. Drew :

I don't think I'd rule out a particular horse just on the basis of a history of ulcers.

Dr. Drew :

it's very common, and probably under-diagnosed overall.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what kind of maintenance should i expect? Should i be able to ride and compete to a low level without putting the horse at further risk?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
There are many anti-ulcer supplements on the market, such as U-Gard and NeighLox, which can be useful as a daily maintenance / prevention. Prescription medicines such as Gastrogard may be needed for flare-ups.

Most horses with severe ulcer flare-ups don't ride or work very well, but most horse owners learn to recognize the signs of a flare up before it gets to that point, so that a shorter course of medication can be used to manage the issue.