Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our springer cross Irish water spaniel appears to be in discomfort.

Our springer cross Irish water spaniel appears to be in discomfort. He is constantly licking his groin area. The skin is intact and does not appear raw. He is off his food and water and does not want to go for a walk. He is 8,5 years old
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Chester's licking his groin, lethargy, and lack of an appetite and decreased water consumption.
How long has he been like this?
Is he running a fever (rectal temperature higher then 39.4C)?
Is he eliminating normally?
Any loose or very hard stools?
Any difficulty passing urine?
Any vomiting or lip licking indicating nausea?
If you gently palpate his abdomen is it soft and comfortable or very tense?

I believe that he is licking his groin due to abdominal discomfort. When dogs lick areas where the skin itself looks normal that indicates an underlying discomfort. I understand that taking him into a veterinary clinic is very stressful but if this has been going on for more then a day or two, especially if he isn't eliminating normally, then he really needs an examination.

In the meantime you can try some things at home to try to settle his stomach.
To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.

You can also offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.

Make sure to watch his eliminations closely in the meantime and if he isn't quickly improving her really must be examined by his veterinarian.
Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, continued lack of an appetite even with the acid reducer and bland diet, a fever (more than 39.4C rectally) and continued lethargy.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. He starting presenting like this yesterday evening. He has not been out to eliminate all day today. He is not licking his lips. His back leg feels hot to touch on the right side, alongside his penis where he has been licking. He looks Locke he is in discomfort.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the further information.
I am glad to hear that he doesn't seem nauseous.
His leg may feel warm simply because he has been licking and increased blood flow to the skin that way, which would make his leg feel warm. Or it is possible that there is some sort of infection or primary tissue inflammation that is causing him to lick that area.
I would try to get him up and out for a slow, short walk to see how he moves and whether he is able to eliminate comfortably. These are things your veterinarian will want to know.
With what you have told me I don't believe that you can truly help him at home, I think he needs a veterinary examination.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, we will contact the vet surgery
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
That sounds best. Please let me know how things go for your fellow, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX