Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We have a small hamster(Russian dwarf hamster) who has gotten

Customer Question

We have a small hamster(Russian dwarf hamster) who has gotten into a fight and has a bite close to his eye. We are concerned and need to know if we need to go to the vet or will it heal on its own?- Mum and two dughters
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your hamster got into a tussel and was bit. I would strongly recommend seeing the vet. Bite wounds are often much deeper than they look and can significantly damage the tissue below where you can see. The damaged tissue loves to hold infection. since the bite was near the delicate eye and facial bones infections there can be devastating. I'd continue to dab at it will standard hand soap and water (don't get it in the eye) until you can see the vet. DO NOT use human antibiotic creams as they can cause fatal diarrhea in hamsters. The vet should have a hamster safe antibiotic that will fix him right up.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan