Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hello We have a 13 year old XXXXX XXXXX, female. She was

We have a 13 year old XXXXX XXXXX, female. She was spayed as a young dog. She's very well house trained and can go for hours (if necessary) without making a mess in the house. When she wants to go out she lets you know.
This weekend she has widdled in two of her beds within minutes of the first widdle, and in various rooms in the house on the carpet. This is really unusual. She has done this a couple of times before, where she widdles in her bed when she is relaxing and then jumps up when she's done it. The widdles are not dribbles, it's a full on widdle soaking her bed or the carpet.
She's just been to the vets this week for her annual booster and had been fine, the vet saying that her heartbeat was good and strong. At the time of the visit she'd been fine.
Any ideas? What can we do please?
Yvonne and Don
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry Poppit has this problem.

There are a couple of things which can cause this change in toilet behaviour. Firstly, lower urinary tract infection is very common in female dogs and can exhibit as increased urination and also inappropriate urination. This can be confirmed by your vet examining Poppit and testing a urine sample.

Secondary, this behaviour can be seen with incontinence, however, I wouldn't expect it to develop so suddenly. If her urine sample is tested as being normal then incontinence could be considered, the treatment of this is a liquid medication to tighten the muscles of the urethra.

Excess urination can be seen with excessive urine production, this is usually secondary to increased water intake. There are many things which can cause this from infection, hormonal problems, kidney disease, liver disease and metabolic disturbances.

So I wouldn't worry at it is an emergency unless she is unable to urinate, is vomiting, or is lethargic. Otherwise get her to your vet in the week and if you can take a urine sample as your vet will find this very useful and will speed up the diagnostic process.

Good luck

Dan Makin