Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat has swallowed atleast one of my husbands painkillers

Customer Question

my cat has swallowed atleast one of my husbands painkillers the tablets are called hydromorphone hydrochloride prolonged release capsules 4mg is their any thing we can or should do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Spider ingest these?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Catherine,

Since time is ticking and I haven't heard back, I wanted to start giving you an idea of what you need to do for poor wee Spider.

While this is a medication that we on occasion use on cats in intensive care situations, we don’t tend to administer this medication orally. Still if we consider the injectable doses to give us an idea of what cats can safely tolerate, then we have to aware that the dose is very small. In fact, the top range normal dose for a cat with this drug is only 0.1milligrams per kilogram of they body weight. This means that one 4mg tablet would be a dose for a 40kg cat (which would be a mastiff sized cat).

Therefore, in this case it is imperative to address this overdose as quickly as possible. If he has just eaten them, you can choose to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more.

And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues. Alternatively since this is an opioid medication, your local ER may also be equipped to reverse the drug using an opioid antagonist like naloxone or naltrexone. These drugs will actually block the effect of this medication and limit his risk.

Just to note the concerns we will have with a minimum of 4mgs of a long acting preparation of hydromorphone, we can see these cats become sedated and experience a depression in their breathing and heart rates.If severely dosed, as it sounds, this depression could lead to respiratory and/or cardiac rest. Therefore, we do want to act quickly here.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet.To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We are seeking emergency vet,

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Catherine.

With quick action, we can hopefully get those tablets out or the drug blocked to prevent any harm to wee Spider.

All the best for Spider,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Spider en route to emergency vet clinic

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the update, Catherine.

While kitties eating things they should not is always stressful, at least in this instance Spider did pick up something that we do have an antidote to.

Best of luck with your lad,

Dr. B.