knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

Round brown grow large pea size about knee level on a female

Customer Question

Round brown grow large pea size about knee level on a female budgie
Expert:  knstrand replied 3 years ago.

knstrand :

Hello, I'm a small animal veterinarian and also see avian patients.

knstrand :

How long has Polly had this growth?

knstrand :

Is the growth ulcerated or open?

knstrand :

6 years old is a fair age for a budgie, it's possible that the growth is cancerous

knstrand :

If the location of the growth is amenable to removal, your local veterinarian (or closest avian vet) might be able to remove the growth if it's causing him a problem.

knstrand :

Sometimes we elect to do pulse therapy antibiotics, to control secondary infection and keep the site healed.

knstrand :

Another thing which can be done is wrapping his perches in a soft bandage material, this can easily be changed to keep the perches clean and helps to cushion the site from abrasion.

knstrand :

Of course general diet is so important in birds - feeding a good pelleted diet such as Zupreem pellets, or even Harrisons veterinary diet, along with fresh fruits and veggies daily.

knstrand :

Ultimately for the growth I would schedule an exam with a local avian vet, or small animal vet who will see birds. They may elect to try and remove it, or possibly provide some antibiotics and pain control if necessary.

knstrand :

Seems like maybe you are having trouble with this chat format. I will switch to Q&A format…. you will still be able to respond to me with further questions/specifics