Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my Doberman has been diagnosed with epilepsy 11 months ago

my Doberman has been diagnosed with epilepsy 11 months ago but I was wondering if it is underactive thyroid or is it the same medication for either
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Jessie's diagnosis of epilepsy.

Does Jessie also have poor skin and coat condition, weight gain and episodes of repeated infections (skin and urinary tract for example)? Those symptoms are commonly seen in dogs with low thyroid function.

There are cases of dogs with neurologic symptoms from low thyroid function but the neurologic symptoms that we see are usually related to incoordination and weakness rather then seizures.

It is possible that Jessie is hypothyroid, and treating that should help with seizure control, but it would be very, very unusual to have seizures as the only symptom of hypothyroidism.

We use Soloxine (levothyroxine) to replace thyroid hormones in hypothyroid dogs.

We use phenobarbital, levetiracetam (Keppra), potassium bromide, or gabapentin for seizure control. Sometimes antiseizure drugs (especially phenobarbital or potassium bromide) can cause weight gain and dry skin which can look like symptoms of hypothyroidism.

If you are concerned Jessie may be hypothyroid then I recommend requesting that your veterinarian run a full thyroid panel, do not trust a T-4 level only as that test alone is not diagnostic in most cases.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.