Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our cat is approx 13+ years old. We have noticed he is becoming

Customer Question

Our cat is approx 13+ years old. We have noticed he is becoming very thin despite being regularly fed. Often before meals he coughs violently,then eats!
Should we be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he drinking more than usual?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This episodes have been going on for approx 6-7 months. We initially thought it was because he was getting old! He has become very thin and anxious. Loki has never been one to drink out of a clean bowl!(not for the want of trying) Loki has always been a rather timid cat and easily startled therefore being anxious may not be a new symptom. I hope you can advise whether he requires further investigon from a vet

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Avril, cats as a species normally do not cough and when they do it is often a sign of an underlying heart or lung disease. The other concern is that he is thin despite regular food intake; common diseases that can cause these symptoms are: Heart/lung disease, hyperthyroidism (over production of thyroid hormone), kidney disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Unfortunately Avril there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Loki needs to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on exam and some testing. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter