Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi, my hamster has become very very shaky and nervous around

Customer Question

Hi, my hamster has become very very shaky and nervous around me, we have had her a few weeks now but she is getting very sweaty as she isn't coming out of a plastic tube much, she is sleeping and weeing there too
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl's condition...

It is not unusual for young hamsters to have a suppressed immune system caused by this change in environment and this allows bacteria to invade and she probably has an Upper Respiratory Infection causing a fever and this may require antibiotics to help her past this. In the meantime, make sure to give her supportive care including 1-2 ounces of Pedialyte every 4-6 hrs to keep her hydrated and liquify hamster food and give some of this with a dropper to keep her nutrients up so she can help fight this off.

Get her to your vet as soon as possible so she can get teh medication she needs to get past this. I say this because, at this age, they are very fragile.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Sarah for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope your little girl will be ok!!

Have a wonderful day!