Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 15 year old tomcat is on Benazepril tabs [dose : 1/2 of

My 15 year old tomcat is on Benazepril tabs [dose : 1/2 of 5mg daily] for heart problems.
An unwelcome side-effect of this medication is our poorly cat defecates more frequently and more abundantly [not true diarrhea ,ie. not runny] . This, the cat finds distressing as it can be rather messy for him at times. Any suggestion as to how to counteract this drug side -effect [ie. slow down his digestive system] would be welcome. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Smokey's Benazepril has this affect on him. In regards XXXXX XXXXX to slow down GI transit and therefore reduce his copious amounts of feces, I would first suggest that you could consider increasing his fiber. Increased dietary fiber can be very helpful in restoring fecal regularity and composition for all species. For cats, we can supplement their fiber by adding a teaspoon of tinned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil or Benefiber to their food daily.

Alternatively, there are feline diets on the market that are low-residue (ie Purina E/N, Iams Veterinary Formula Intestinal Low-Residue, Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, etc.). These diets are designed to be highly digestible which means more of the diet should be absorbed by the GI and therefore there is less material that to be passed as feces.Of course success with these diets always depends on the cat's willingness to eat them.

Finally, to gently slow GI transit for Smokey, you could consider a trial on Protexin Prokolin. This is available over the counter at your vet's and contains prebiotics/probiotics to ensure the GI is at optimal balance (and doing its job properly) and small dose of kaolin which would just slow the movement of fecal material through the gut.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )