Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Evening, I picked up a stray cat who had a badly infected

Customer Question

Evening,

I picked up a stray cat who had a badly infected wound took him to the vet and got him cleaned up. He was healing fine and the vet gave me Betamox palatable drops...everything was fine until he came back last night...six days on the betamox drops and now he seems to have a chesty cough....which he didn't have before. I called the vets office and the girl at reception gave me some more betamox she says this is an antibiotic and can be used for the cough as well.

So far the cat has been neutered, he was treated with strong hold blue cat...which I think is for parasites and we are on day six of the betamox drops. He was also given an injection of dex/noro..which I think is another antibiotic. I am concerned now about this cough he has strong smelling diarrhea as well but is eating fine. Should I take him to the vets again or wait and see if the drops work on the cough?....He only has the cough since yesterday? What do you think?

Fiona
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sounds like your new kitty is in good hands--he is lucky to have someone caring for him!

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Thank You :-)

Dr. Scarlett :

So you rescued him and took him to the vet about a week ago? When was he neutered? When did he get the injection of dex/noro?

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

He neutered him on the day as he said he would be sedated anyway. He got the injection on the same day that was the 29th Jan.

Dr. Scarlett :

Just for clarification (mine and yours): Stronghold is a topical medication that treats ear mites, fleas, some intestinal worms and heartworms.

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Yes he had mange as well lol

Dr. Scarlett :

Betamox is amoxicillin, an antibiotic. It isn't terribly broad-spectrum, especially if the cat could have something like pneumonia.

Dr. Scarlett :

The dex/noro is most likely a shot of steroids (dexamethasone) and an antibiotic. I'm not sure why they would give a steroid injection (it tends to suppress the immune system), but that may just be their protocol.

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Ok so should I wait a few days and see how I get on...he was fine before last night. I think initially it was used for the wound.

Dr. Scarlett :

The Stronghold does kill some common intestinal worms--roundworms in particular. But it won't help if he has Giardia or coccidia, which are intestinal parasites, but not worms.

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Oh..

Dr. Scarlett :

Truthfully, I would take him back to the vet. Take in a fresh stool sample for analysis--hopefully they will find something they can treat. Was he tested for Feline leukemia and feline AIDS? That is important to do with a stray cat, as infection with either of these viruses will lower the immune system and make it more difficult to fight off infection.

Dr. Scarlett :

As far as the cough, a chest x-ray wouldn't be a bad idea. Does he feel warm like he is running a fever? If he could have pneumonia, then he needs to be on some different antibiotics besides the betamax, too.

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Oh dear ok....

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

He looks like his respiration is up but I might be imagining it. He is young and his teeth are perfect vets says he looked in great shape but he was fighting

Dr. Scarlett :

The leukemia and FIV viruses are both transmitted through saliva/bite wounds.

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Ok I will take him to the vet in the morning :-)

JACUSTOMER-s86i5oqj- :

Thanks for your help hopefully he'll be ok :-)

Dr. Scarlett :

I hope so, too! Keep me posted!