Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a black feral cat that I have been feeding for about

Customer Question

I have a black feral cat that I have been feeding for about two years but only been able to get close to him since about four months ago and he lets me stroke him but he tends to nip on the odd occasion and I was wondering what I could do about this.
It doesn't bother me but my father keeps shooing him away now and being mean.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I know this is very frustrating but it takes awhile for feral cats to develop security around many humans. For this, follow these instructions:

Continue to use the Feliway but use more diffusers.

Take Poppy to your vet for an exam and neutering if he has not been neutered. This may be due to a meidcal condition causing this aggression. next , ask your vet for medication such as Fluoxitine or Clomocalm , which can be given for 1-2 months that will decrease Poppy's anxiety around your family and help acclimate to your family. This may take patience and time, but it is very effective.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX taken him to the vet about 3 weeks ago and he was checked thoroughly and he was neutered but getting him down there was horrible. He nearly broke out of the box and he was breathing really badly cos he was petrified and he doesn't like being confined but I was worried about him. I can't take him down there again unless it is a emergency but I will do as much as I can for him. I moved his kennel down to the bottom of the garden away from people.

Since he was just at the vets, there is no reason to atke him back...I am sure they did a thorough exam so this is not a meidcal condition. If you can your vet for this medication, they may prescribe it for you....it is very effective.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this helps Poppy past this.

Have a wonderful day!