Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

poor appetite, listlessness, watery discharge for the nose

Customer Question

poor appetite, listlessness, watery discharge for the nose and eyes, diarrhoea, slight muscle tremors, dry cough, inflammation of the mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Booby's condition...I know you are very worried...

These symtoms tell us that he is most likely suffering from an Upper Respiratory infection which causes a digestive disturbance and fever which causes a poor appetite. I fear that Booby will require veterinary care such as antibiotics to get him past this. Take him to your vet for an exam as soon as possible. In the emantime, you will have to provide supportive care which includes Pedialyte, 1-2 ounces every 4 hrs so he is hydrated and if you can get Booby to eat something, give aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to bring down his fever.

You will not know for sure until your vet can examine Booby and run tests.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, upper respiratory infection also causes diarrhoea, water discharge form the mouth and eyes, dry cough and a swollen mouth?

Is it viral or bacterial?

Could you pin it down to a name or a genus?

HI Kevin...

We never know what is causing this Upper Respratory Infection until there is a culture done....most often, we run lab work that gives us an idea if this is viral or bacterial and treat accordingly. WE have nothing to kill viral conditions but we treat with antibiotics to guard against a secondary bacterial infection.

The stress of this infection will cause a secondary digestive issue such as diarrhea which will resolve once the infection is under control.....

Does that make more sense, Kevin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would ALL of the symptoms provided to you be apparent in this condition?

These symptoms could also be caused by an allergic reaction which will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. teh fact that it seems more severe , I worry that this is infectious rather than allergic. You can try the Benadryl at first along with pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of Booby's weight every 8 hrs to help control the diarrhea.

One of the reasons I think this is more serious is that he does not have a good appetite and with most allergies, this does not always affect the appetite....

Does that make more sense, Kevin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you think causes the inflammation of the mouth then if it is an infection?

That is hard to know, Kevin...may be the infection is causing mucous drainage since the mouth and nose communicate through the pharynx and this drainage is irritatoing the tissues of the mouth.,....

Allergies and an autoimmune disease can cause this as well. It is best to get Booby tested and treated by your vet to know for sure, Kevin.
I am sorry, Kevin, that you are disappointed with my responses. With the information that I have been given , this is all I can do to help Booby...only seeing your vet will tell you for sure. All I can do is give you the possibilities for his condition.

I am happy to continue our conversation if that will help....perhaps I can help with Booby so your rating of me is better....

I wish you and Booby the best!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Kevin for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day, Kevin...Booby too!