Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my dog has been lossing his hair he age 6 years old been hair

Customer Question

my dog has been lossing his hair he age 6 years old been hair loss all time gave him bath we dog shapoo
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This hair loss can be caused by many things. This could be allergies, metabolis issues such as a low thyroid or other issues such as parasites. It is best to have your vet examine Shane and run skin scrapings and perhaps biopsies and blood work to know what is causing this.

The most common cause is allergies and the treatment is as follows:

1. Give Shane Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and blood work to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Caroline for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!