Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

My son breeds and shows gold sebrights and has one bird that

Customer Question

My son breeds and shows gold sebrights and has one bird that was recently shown at the Scottish Nationals (where it won its class). Over the last week it has lost colour in its comb and wattle and this morning the wattles are a pale pink. At the beginning of the week its droppings were watery and he gave Coxoid Oral solution. The droppings have improved and the bird is still eating and drinking well but has lost the show condition weight and really does not need to lose anymore. It is in quarintine. Unfortunately the vets around us are not really into chickens though will supply us medication if we know what we need. Any help or suggestions
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your son's rooster's condition. There are a number of possibilities in causing a pale comb and watery droppings, so I'll need to ask a few questions to try to reduce the length of the list of possible causes. How long ago was the show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The show was 18/19th Jan, so about 3 wks ago this weekend. Bird started looking sorry for itself last Sat 1st Feb (2 wks after show)

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Rowena. The timing is right for his having been exposed to something at the show. The list of possible causes is still a bit long. Has he shown any other symptoms like lack of appetite, changes in his joints or eyes, limping, lethargy or ruffled feathers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is very pale around the eyes, slight lethargy and ruffled feathers, with a low slung tail rather than raised like a sebright should. Always wormed and no mites. Appetite slightly down but only by a smidging..

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

The reasonably good appetite is a good sign. The best way to approach this problem at this point is for me to list the possible causes of the symptoms you're seeing. Reading articles listed online for each would then give you details about each condition that space considerations won't allow me to provide here. Most poultry medicine is geared toward large commercial enterprises, so in the interest of protecting their investment, owners of large flocks are very quick to sacrifice obviously ill birds and diagnose their conditions based on internal organ changes. In the case of pet or especially valuable show birds, we have only the external signs of disease processes with which to proceed toward a diagnosis. As a disease progresses, the symptoms may become more pronounced allowing a pre-mortem diagnosis. In the meantime, all one can do is keep them isolated from any other birds, warm, provide highly palatable nutritious food (warm oatmeal, cornbread, pancakes and scrambled eggs) and cover them with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Gallimycin (erythromycin) Tylan (tylocin) or Baytril (enrofloxacin). Your veterinian can provide these and should be able to provide dosing information for you. If they don't provide dosages, notify me and I will. My first choice from the above would be Tylan.
The list of possible causes of hte symptoms you're seeing is as follows:
Blackhead
Coccidiosis (this may be the only problem, or one of two or more, taking some time to resolve)
Salmonellosis
Acute cholera
Septicemia
Typhoid
Paratyphoid
Pullorum
There are other less common diseases as well that can cause the symptoms you've described, but these are the most likely offenders.
I wish I could give you a simpler and more concise answer, sorry. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. The vets were unwilling to give Tylan but gave 5 syringes of baytril to administer into the leg muscle.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Rowena.
Baytril will hopefully be what he needs to recover. Unless your veterinarians do a fair amount of poultry or large animal work, they probably don't stock Tylan and would have to order a large amount of the drug to be able to dispense the small amount you'd need. I hope all goes well for you, but if I may be of any further assistance, now or in the future, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob