Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

My African grey parrot seems lethargic, his droppings are normal,

Customer Question

My African grey parrot seems lethargic, his droppings are normal, he's eating but he does seem to be sleeping a lot. I have just bought him a new cage and I thought he was sulking. He is such a talkative bird but the last three days has not said a word
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Bernie's behavior change. How long has it been since you moved him to his new cage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last Sunday but he seemed ok on sunday & Monday aND THEN BECAME QUIET HIS EYES LOOK HEAVY AS WELL

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you Elizabeth.
Birds are highly intelligent and sensitive creatures. Major changes in their environments cause them stress, and this stress may take several days to manifest. Since the onset of the symptoms you're seeing is so closely related to the change in housing, the cage is the most likely source of stress to Bernie. Do you cover his cage at night?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
How many hours per night on average?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

from 10.30 till about 9am. just looked at him now & he has turned his head to the back & has put his beak into his feathers

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
That may not be enough sleep for him. !2 to 14 hours in a darkly covered cage perferably placed in a quiet part of the home, away from conversational, television, radio, etc. sounds is recommended. During periods of unusual stress (the new cage would qualify) the 14 hour period would be best. At his age, he's probably fairly set in his ways, and a few weeks of extra sleep will probably get him through this episode. Should he develop any other signs like loss of appetite, changes in his droppings or more lethargic behavior, a trip to an avian veterinarian would definitly be recommended. Otherwise, he should perk up in a day or two with the extra rest. If you still have questions, or if I may be of any further assistance to you, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob