Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my friends springer spaniel had a litter of 8 puppies (my dog

Customer Question

my friends springer spaniel had a litter of 8 puppies (my dog was the stud) they are now 6 and half weeks old, 2 pups have problem with their eyes which appear to be open but still have a film over them. This is starting to peel back with the one pup whose eye is now half open but the other pup has the film completely over his eye and cannot see. They have seen the vet once who said their eyes looked normal underneath but didn't know what the condition was and said to give it more time.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You've described a congenital symblepharon in Weasley and Herbie. This describes an adhesion of the palpebral conjunctiva of the eyelid to the bulbar conjunctiva of the eyeball. If it doesn't resolve on its own within a few weeks - as it appears to be doing in the one pup - a vet can carefully tease away the adhesion which should leave a normal cornea underneath although bleeding will need to be controlled post-surgically. If the vet is unfamiliar with this condition it would prudent to have a specialist ophthalmologist take a look at these pups. It's not a serious condition but once the cornea is cleared and quiets down, the inside of the globe should be examined for additional congenital anomalies.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.