Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Albino guinea pig with a scratched eye, blurry swollen and

Customer Question

Albino guinea pig with a scratched eye, blurry swollen and has a white center. Anything I can do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very concerned about Kobay.

When did he injure his eye?

By white center, do you mean inside the eye or that there is a white lesion on the clear corneal covering of the eye?

Any discharges from the eye? If so, what color?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No discharges, i noticed it a day ago, over night that white thing covering the clear cornea occured. The eyelids are swollen. I think she had a fight with the other female piggy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I agree that with the sudden onset and the changes to the eye you have described that trauma from the othe cavy would be our top suspect. From your description, it sounds like the the cornea has been significantly damaged. The clouded haze you are seeing covering the cornea is what we call corneal edema. This is where the cornea swells after injury (where a swollen and finger or toe would get bigger, corneas just get cloudy and opaque). As well, the eyelid/conjunctival swelling will be again due to inflammation as the surrounding tissues try to protect the eye from further damage.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX to address this eye, with this rapid severe onset of these changes (which means we have to be worried about a deep laceration), it would be ideal to have this eye examined by her vet today. Ideally we'd want to have the vet stain this eye with fluorescein and examine it with an ophthalmoscope to really appreciate the extent and depth of the corneal injury. Severe lacerations can compromise eye integrity and lead to rupture of the eye (which then would require removal). These lesions tend to require corneal or conjunctival grafts to aid the eye's healing and save the eye. Otherwise, for less serious lacerations, we often manage these cases with saline flushing of the eye and administration of topical ophthalmic antibiotics. This is usually applied twice daily, will keep her comfortable and secondary infection away while the eye heals.

Overall, eyes are immensely delicate organs and if Kobay's eye has shown such severe inflammation this quickly, we have to be concerned about a deep laceration or severe damage to the eye. Therefore, since the weekend is approaching (which we don't want to end up in an emergency situation over this), it'd be ideal to have the eye seen today today. The vet can examine her as I noted above and dispense appropriate treatment to aid healing or further intervention if the eye is in danger of rupturing from this trauma.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )