Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dogs are getting bald patches. They have both been wormed

my dogs are getting bald patches. They have both been wormed and fleed with advocate. We have changed their diet because one dog has a history of allergies and our vet told us the best food would be Chappie, could you please help.
Many Thanks Mrs.D.Oldfield
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

How long has this been going on?
How long ago was the advocate applied?

How long ago was the diet changed?

Can you tell me where the bald patches are arising on your dogs?

Are they itchy or scratching these areas?

Do the hairs at these sites feel rough (like hay) if you rub them backwards?

Any changes to the skin in these areas (ie redness, pustules, pimples, scabs, ulcers, crusts, scaly dander, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this has been going on for about 4 weeks we used advocate 3 weeks ago, diet changed 8 weeks ago, no itchy areas, but feels course around the bald patches, no changes in the skin.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Doreen,

Where abouts on the body are you seeing these bald sites?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the flanks on both dogs

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Doreen.

So, let me make sure I am interpreting your situation correctly.
You have two dogs with flank based hair loss that is not itchy.
Is this correct?

If so, is the baldness symmetrical on both flanks?
Are the dogs related or both entire females?
What breed
Is anyone in the house using hormone therapy creams?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes 2 dogs with flank based hair loss.

yes symmetrical on both flanks. 1 is male 1 is female. Female is a Lakeland, male is a cross breed. No one using hormone creams or any other prescriptions

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again,

Now the reason for my range of questions there is that it not common to see non-itchy bilaterally symmetrical hair loss in single dogs and less common to have two dogs in the same household show these signs at the same time. So, as I am sure you can appreciate this is a very odd presentation here with your two dogs.

This means that our most common skin issues (ie like allergies, bacterial infections, mange, etc) are less likely here since they are not itchy. Furthermore, with multiple dogs affected, individual issues like hormonal disease (hypothyroidism, cushing's disease, estrogen or testosterone based alopecia, etc), sebaceous adenitis, hair loss secondary to having a tumor, or damage to the hair follicles are less likely again.

This means that we have to consider that either we have an odd coincidence of two non-related dogs affected with an individual issue at the same time (which I don't beleive in coincidences) or we have to consider potential non-itchy communicable issues. In that situation, then the two concerns that would top our list here would be Demodicosis (caused by the demodex mite) and Dermatopytosis (ringworm). A yeast infection would also be a consideration but I would suspect an odor (like bread) and some dermatitis type changes to the skin.

In this situation, I would advise that you speak to your vet about these two causes and consider having a skin scrape test carried out. This can be examined under the microscope to tell you if the dogs have a demodex infestation or if there is any sign of ringworm present (This can also be cultured for ringworm in case it is a low grade infection and not readily apparent on microscopy.). Depending on the findings, it may be a case of topical treatment for them or if the bald areas are large (or progressing in size), then systemic/oral treatment can be prescribed.

Overall, this is a very uncommon presentation for two non-related dogs. And while Chappie is consider quite hypoallergenic, I would be highly suspicious that allergies are not at the root of this situation and that instead we either have a resistant demodex infestation or there is a low grade ringworm being spread between the two dogs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.