Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 8 month old cat has a lump the size of a golf ball on his

My 8 month old cat has a lump the size of a golf ball on his stomach that seems to be red on the skin. He cries if i pick him up or touch his belly. What shall i do? Im a bit worried as hes not himself. Would it be anything to do with us just getting a puppy 2 days ago?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

May I assume that this lump has only just appeared?

Has the puppy had any contact with Sid?

Does Sid go outside?

Is he eating and drinking for you ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the puppy and sid seem to get along. Hes outside all day whilst we are at work and sleeps indoors at night. The lump seems to only havr appeard today.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Ruth,

When we see suddenly appearing painful red-skinned lumps in young cats, the most common cause is going to be a bacterial infection causing a localized abscess. This could arise if Sid got into a tussle with another cat outside or if the pup may have nipped him (even in play). All we need is a wee trauma from dirty claws or teeth to then inoculate the tissue with bacteria to cause these. And when abscesses arise they tend to grow quickly, cause stretching of the skin, and be uncomfortable. As well since this is an infection many cats will also develop fevers, may hide or be withdrawn, or potentially go off their food.

In this situation, as long as he can rest comfortably at home tonight, you can monitor him and have him seen by his vet in the morning. If you do so, I would say that he can have access to water through tonight but we should withhold food so that he has an empty stomach for the vet tomorrow. That way if they need to admit him to open and flush the abscess out, he will have an empty stomach so that he can have a sedation without delay.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. I think that will put my mind to rest for tonight. Such quick answers brilliant service x

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Ruth. Smile

I am glad I could keep you from being too worried over wee Sid over tonight. And as long as he can get comfortable for tonight, he can see his vet in the morning to sort this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.