Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

sick deerhound?

Customer Question

Our deerhound (11 months) female, spayed at Christmas, became very listless today after her walk at 715am this morning, and has spent most of the day lying in her basket. She has not eaten anything since last night, barely drunk anything and doesn't want to get up. It seems to take a lot of effort for her to even lift her head. I've tried to get her to drink water out of my cupped hands but she isn't interested. She is behaving like a person that has the 'flu or a fever. What could be wrong and should we be worried?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Giselle, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Lyra hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of her gums?
2. Can you take her temperature?
3. Any vomiting or diarrhea?
4. Could she have ingested any undetected medication (prescription or over the counter)?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb