Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, My 9 year old female cat has started to produce bright

My 9 year old female cat has started to produce bright red blood at the end of her stools, she goes once a day and it's not every time but I've noticed it a few times in the last few weeks... she's very happy in herself, no loss of appetite (she's actually I'm ashamed to say rather overweight, we rescued her at a year old and since having her spayed she developed a large saggy tummy but not large all round), she does seem to be drinking more than usual though, should I visit the vet and what are the possible causes ie should I be worried?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me , What do you normally feed Shiraz on?

Customer: She is fed on a mixture of dry Science plan food and the standard Felix or Gourmet pouches... I have 3 other cats and only pur down 1 pouch in morning and 1 at night between all 3 so mainly Science plan.
Scott Nimmo :

That's fine, lets cover her situation on a point by point basis, most serious points first ...

Customer: My only concern is blood in her stools... I've only recently introduced a litter tray due to the weather and although free to go outside she is mainly a house cat so this could have been going on longer than I've witnessed. She did ever so slightly wi
Scott Nimmo :

1. Older cats which drink more than usual are a cause for concern, sometimes this can be due to kidney disease or diabetes but but there are other causes as well. Your vet will be able to run a quick blood test which can pick up many of the causes in one hit. In the early stages these diseases may not affect your cat too much but they should be picked up now so you can take measures { Weight loss } .

Customer: ...whimper the last time I noticed her passing a stool, only at the very end when the blood was passing, should this be a concern?
Scott Nimmo :

2. Bright red blood in the faeces is quite common in cats, while it can sometimes be something serious it is more commonly due to a small blood vessel blowing in the end part of the rectum. This is caused by straining and the cat may well whimper if this is the case. If it only happens now and again the chances are it is nothing to worry about and just a change in diet will sort it out. You should have your vet check it over though just in case as more serious diagnosis are possible. { Rare }

Scott Nimmo :

3. Finally saggy tummys are common in overweight spayed cats, ... no cause for concern.

Customer: Oh good new re saggy tummy as although she appears overweight to look at she really doesn't eat all that much.
Scott Nimmo :

I am very much a cat person myself, I know it if often hard to keep their weight down ... !

Customer: So basically I should take her to the vets to be safe but possibly not serious?
Customer: I like to keep my cats happy, I'm a sucker for a pretty feline face!
Scott Nimmo :

I would not be to concerned about the blood but there may be an underlying cause of the excess drinking, if so it is best picked up now. I think a vet's visit is called for on a better safe than sorry basis ...

Customer: I've signed up for a free trial of advice, I do have questions re my other cats, do I need to start a new question feed?
Scott Nimmo :

It is best to keep one question per page, please just post a new question starting " for the attention of Scott Nimmo " and I will b eglad to keep working with you. Regards, Scott.

Customer: Sorry I know it's late, would you rather I contacted tomorrow?
Scott Nimmo :

Well although I am Scottish it is not late for me, 9:25 AM to be exact, as I look out of the window of my study I can see the fronds of the coconut palms gently waving in the breeze as the sea glistens blue in the distance. I live in Mindanao Philippines :-) I know it is late for you though so tomorrow is fine as well ...

Customer: Well in that case... (very jealous!) I'll post my question now ;o)
Scott Nimmo :

no problem ...