Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

For the attention of Scott Nimmo... sorry to bombard you, I

Customer Question

For the attention of Scott Nimmo... sorry to bombard you, I must seem like a nutty cat lady but I only have 4 I promise! ...Male cat, 12 years old, had since kitten but he's always been sick regularly, have tried numerous different foods, dry/wet, various brands and like I said before, mainly Science Plan but always sick... no weight loss and very bright and communicative (happily vocal), he really doesn't seem to be affected by the constant sickness but I'm still concerned about an underlying problem?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Back again, no problem, please as k as many questions as you like, that's all part of the Just Answer service, and thanks very much for the previous good ratings by the way, I really appreciate it. Now on to this question ...

Scott Nimmo :

Again if he is otherwise bright and happy and not showing any other symptoms and has always been like this then the chances are it is nothing to worry about. My first thought would be to try various diets but you have already done this of course ...

Customer: He literally begs for food, eats, is sick, then begs for more! It's ridiculous
Scott Nimmo :

The only comment I would make is that sometimes cats get like this on dry food because it will swell in their stomachs and dry food although very convenient is not really a natural food for cats. I have know cats be just like this one on dry food but when you switch to totally canned food they are fine.

Scott Nimmo :

Also a greedy cat will bolt it's food and that can be part of the problem, tell me has he always been a greedy cat?

Customer: Always begs prolifically for food (on worktops and very vocal) but when I put it down he sits back like he's not bothered and let's the others tuck in first... he's never been a big eater but what he does eat exits his mouth! the only thing he eagerly tucks into are Whiskers Treat biscuits in those little tubs (not sure you get those in paradise!) although these aren't given regularly.
Customer: Also, dry food is there round the clock but he begs anyway, I assume for the pouches but immediately is sick after eating
Scott Nimmo :

He sounds quite a character ... all cats are different that's part of their charm I guess. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if this was something serious then it would have got much worse over the years. It is probably just a person quirk of his related to feeding. Even the best cat foods are quite removed form what would be a cat's natural diet. If you want to be 100% sure you could have him checked over and perhaps a blood profile run ... But from what you say I would be surprised if it would reveal anything of note.

Scott Nimmo :

One thing to try would be just to feed him twice a day at fixed times and then take the food up but with other cats there that would not be easy I know ...

Customer: Thanks... I feel reassured!
Hello again Louise,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good ratings and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on all your cat's various progress.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }