Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My rabbit recently had a minor problem with gi stasis which

Customer Question

My rabbit recently had a minor problem with gi stasis which affected her appetite and changed her poos. I thought the problem had been solved and we changed her diet to try to include more fresh vegetables which contain more fibre. It seemed to be working and her appetite improved and her poos are back to normal. Except she still occasionally has a clump of wetter looking poo and this morning what looked like loose poo in her cage. She is eating and drinking fine (plenty of hay mainly). Do you think the change in diet to include more fresh vegetables has now caused a problem? Do you think I should just stick to just hay and her pebbles until things look better?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that you have solved the GI stasis problem but when changing foods, it must be done very slowly. I would recommend going back to just hay and then slowly add in small amounts of vegetables. Their systems will require adaptation to the higher fiber vegetables and when you do thsi slowly, Pepper will do well. They need this extra fiber and I do think this addition has caused this change in Pepper's stool. If you wean him slowly to the vegetables, Pepper will do much better especially considering his GI stasis issue.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Claire for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Pepper improves soon...

Have a wonderful day!