Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

female 6 yrs old,unable to get to her feet, fast breathing,

female 6 yrs old,unable to get to her feet, fast breathing, vecry fast short panting, claws exstended,back legs will not support her, low crying as if in pain
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Safi.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Dr. Bruce :

There are several possibilities for Safi's condition. The most serious cause would be that she has developed a clot that ended up lodged in her hind end. When this happens, the back end of the body (the rear legs) do not work and typically this condition is very painful. This is an emergency and requires immediate attention. Typical treatment is to control the pain, and to try and provide medication to break up the clot.

Dr. Bruce :

Another possible cause is some sort of trauma to the spine or hind end. If Safi doesn't go outside, then it is much less likely to be the underlying problem.

Dr. Bruce :

Another possible cause is a pinched nerve in the back caused by a degenerative disc. This is not that common but can cause all the signs you have described. Usually an x-ray is necessary to diagnose this condition, and treatment is typically anti-inflammatory medication, pain medication, and strict rest. If the problem worsens, surgery may be necessary.

Dr. Bruce :

Because I am most concerned about the clot being a possible cause to Safi's condition, I would encourage you to take her to the vet as soon as possible. It would be prudent to get her there tonight, so that if there truly is a clot, then she can get treatment immediately.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Safi is doing better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

SAFI WAS TAKEN TO THE VET AT 3.30 AM. INITIAL DIAGNOSIS IS A COLLAPSE OF THE NECK VERTEBRAE. YOU MENTION A " CLOT ". DO YOU CONSIDER THAT SHE HAS HAD A STROKE ?

Dr. Bruce :

Hello again. The collapse of the neck vertebrae would be the same thing as the pinched nerve that I had mentioned. This is not a stroke, but is a condition where the disc in the spinal column bulges or ruptures and puts pressure on the spinal cord. As I mentioned before, this is not a common problem in cats.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope that the vet put Safi on strong anti-inflammatory medication. Typically, steroids are used for this treatment.

Dr. Bruce :

A stroke is a problem with a blood vessel in the brain, so Safi's condition would not be the same thing.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope that Safi is feeling better very soon. Please feel free to continue this chat by replying to this post. I will get back to you as soon as possible.