Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a rescued Cairn Terrier about 2 years old. The problem

Customer Question

We have a rescued Cairn Terrier about 2 years old. The problem is :
during the day he is an adorable well behaved dog, but at night time he is put to bed in
his basket, in the kitchen, and some times he sleeps but most times he barks and barks for hours on end, tears up his bedding and any other thing around him, and poos and wees.
We are experienced dog owners having had dogs which were all well behaved and long lived.
but now are at our wits end as to know how to proceed.
Do we just ignore him or what ??
We do want to succeed with him as he is an affectionate animal, but we need adviceas
to how to proceed.
Sincerely,
Jean & Tony Gregory
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jean and Tony, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the problems you're experiencing with Alfie. Judging from the sound of his behavior and the situation, it sounds like he may be suffering from separation anxiety.
Dogs by nature are pack animals and being separated from their pack is cause for great anxiety. Is there any way you could try having his bed in your bedroom with you?