Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

9 month old calf has swollen fore knee. He walks on it with

Customer Question

9 month old calf has swollen fore knee. He walks on it with a limp but hold it up when standing and snatches it away when I try to touch the knee. could it be torn or dislocated?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know if this calf has injured something in her knee or has ruptured a ligament in the knee or even may have fractured a bone in this area or there may be an infection. The best thing to do for her now is to apply ice packs to try to bring down the swelling and give her aspirin boluses at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs available at the farm supply. This will decrease the inflammation that may be causing this discomfort.

Cover her with antibiotics such as Penicillin or LA 200 given every other day in case there is an infection.

If there is fluid obvious, place a large bore needle into this to see if the fluid is pus or clear serum which would indicate an injury.

If there is no improvement, your vet may need to xray this calf to know for sure what is causing this so it can be treated appropriately.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sense. Should l rest him indoors or out with the others? Is the penicillin injected on top of the rear flank or does it have to be nearer his bad foreleg? I'll get some asprin from farm supplies.

Hi Tracy....the penicillin can be injected in the rear which is best.

It is better to keep him isolated from the others in a small area so he is somewhat immobile....depending on the cause, the best treatment is immobility of this leg, Tracy.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, Tracy, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how your guy is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, Tracy. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on your guy. Is he doing any better? Thanks!