Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My 8 month old Pomarussell has been vomiting for the past 3

My 8 month old Pomarussell has been vomiting for the past 3 days about 2-3 times a day. She's slightly off her food but is drinking water. She's also a bit quieter than her normal self. Do dogs get tummy bugs and what should I do with her?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I love the name Pip, I can just picture her. Adorable!

Dr. Susan :

For such a small dog to vomit that frequently, I am pretty concerned.

Dr. Susan :

I would consider some of the possible causes to be intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign object,

Dr. Susan :

dietary indiscretion - if she got table food, etc that upset her belly,

Dr. Susan :

or yes, sometimes we do see viral infections too.

Customer: She coughed up a fur ball on Sunday night and her vomit was yellow after that but since then it's been quite foamy.
Dr. Susan :

Has Pip had her puppy vaccines already, including the distemper/parvo?

Customer: Yes she's had all her vaccinations
Dr. Susan :

Good, we can basically rule out parvo then.

Dr. Susan :

I would strongly recommend having her seen by your regular vet. I would start with a physical exam and some blood work. You should also bring a recent fecal sample so they can check it for some types of bacteria and intestinal parasites.

Dr. Susan :

Even if we do not diagnose anything specific, they can begin supportive care.

Dr. Susan :

She may need fluids and anti-vomit/anti-nausea medication.

Dr. Susan :

Has she had any loose stool?

Customer: I don't know about the stools as she goes out to the back garden to do her business and I don't watch her while she's doing it!
Dr. Susan :

Ok, it would be a good idea to take her out on leash so you can watch her and check the character of her stool.

Dr. Susan :

That might be something else that we need to address.

Dr. Susan :

You can offer a bland diet of boiled white rice and chicken.

Dr. Susan :

Make it 75% rice and 25% chicken.

Dr. Susan :

This is very palatable but also very easily digested.

Dr. Susan :

You can also add a pro-biotic to her food. These can be purchased over the counter at the local pharmacy.

Dr. Susan :

I would add about 1/2 an adult dose to her food once daily.

Customer: I will try the bland diet and bring her to our vet tomorrow.
Dr. Susan :

I think that is a good start. I hope she feels better soon. I bet she's a little doll.

Customer: She's been trembling a lot more than usual as well over the last few days. I know small dogs do tremble but even when she's beside the fire or cosy on my knee she's vibrating away.
Dr. Susan :

Poor girl. If at any point she seems excessively sleepy or difficult to rouse, you can rub some corn syrup or honey on her gums in case she is hypoglycemic.

Dr. Susan :

That would perk her up.

Customer: Thanks for your advice Dr Susan. Yes she is absolutely adorable! She was the runt of her litter and stopped breathing twice, the breeder had to resuscitate her each time! The whole family are madly in love with her and she adores the kids!
Dr. Susan :

Oh, she sounds like the perfect addition to the family :)

Dr. Susan :

If you ever get the chance, you could email a picture [email protected] and customer support can forward it to me! ;)

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Customer: Thanks again for everything x
Dr. Susan :

Any time!