Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat had diarrhea on Monday then pale (sandy colour)

my cat had diarrhea on Monday then pale (sandy colour) feces today. Should I worry about it? She has a kidney condition.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where the sandy colored feces normal in consistency or still loose?

How is Amber in herself?

Drinking well, eating, bright? Or lethargic, withdrawn, etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. B

Her feces is only slightly loose and she is drinking well. Her appetite is a bit less then usual (but she could do with diet). She's not active cat so I can't really tell but I think she is quite normal otherwise.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

If her feces are only slightly loose today, then it may be that something (ie bacterial, viral, etc) is giving Amber's immune system a wee challenge and that she is fighting it off. In this situation, I would advise that I'd not be overly worried as long as it continues to improve and her appetite doesn't wane any further.

Typically, we see mild changes to a cat's stool, we will offer a offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). These diets aim for provide nutrition to the stressed gut without making it work hard to digest the food. When we feed these we also advise frequent small meals to minimize strain on the already stressed gut, and to help lower the volume of diarrhea. This all said, if Amber is on a special diet for her kidneys, then these high protein options may not be ideal for her. You can consider tempting her in the short term with any of these but if she is on a kidney specific diet then you may just want to try her on small frequent meals of this instead (and perhaps use a small volume of chicken to tempt her if need be). Again, we will have decreasing any strain on the compromised gut if we offer small volumes at a time.

Furthermore, for mild occasions of loose feces in cats, we can use products like

or Protexin Pro-Fiber (example) to help restore GI balance and fecal production. This product has a small volume of kaolin to slow fecal transit in the GI to allow proper formation and prebiotics/probiotics to restore any imbalance in the natural gut microflora. If you wanted to try Amber on this, it is available OTC at vet practices. Furthermore, if she continues to have these kids of issues, then then she could benefit from a regular probiotic supplement like FortiFlora for Cats (LINK). This product is quite good for kitties with loose stools from GI disturbance and will also give her a wee immune system boost. Some vets and pet stores carry it or you can get it online (I do think Amazon even carries it).

Overall, if Amber had one loose stool and her stools are getting back to a normal form (since the color is not alarming), then I would advise to monitor at this stage but not be overly worried. If she is showing this alongside a wee bit of an appetite decline, then it may just be that something is challenging her immune system or causing an imbalance in her gut's good bacteria. Therefore, at this stage, a light diet and/or GI supportive treatment would be indicated. If you do so and her feces doesn't settle, then you may want to consider having a fecal sample checked to identify the cause of her loose stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

How long shall I monitor her?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Smile

As long as Amber is eating a good amount for her, than I would try the above for the next 24-48 hours. If she isn't settling or there are any changes to her appetite, than we'd want to consider following up with her vet with a fecal sample since she does have kidney issues and we don't want her to feel poorly with this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.