Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Is it worth putting my dog thro an anaethetic which he does

Customer Question

Is it worth putting my dog thro an anaethetic which he does not take well as he has pancreatitis for the diagnosis of facial paralysis which includes an inability to blink
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
To answer your question directly, the only reason I can see for anethetizing Arnie would be to perform x-rays or MRI in an attempt to determine if neoplasia (cancer, mainly, in an elderly Boxer), middle/inner ear infection, or ear polyps were associated with his facial paralysis. If there has been no history of ear infections (otitis externa) and so middle/inner ear infection (otitis media/interna) would be unlikely at this time and an invasive surgery won't be considered if a polyp or cancer were identified, the search under anesthesia becomes moot.

In most cases, facial paralysis is an idiopathic (unknown cause) disorder of facial nerve VII. The main goal is to prevent corneal ulceration. No special therapy is indicated for the remaining manifestations of facial paralysis. Sterile lubricant ophthalmic ointment should be applied to the affected eye(s) at least every 6-8 hours to prevent exposure keratitis and corneal ulceration.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So it sounds like it isn't really necessary to have an mri scan, is this right .Arnie does not react well to anethetic which will in all probability upset his stomach. Would an mri show up cancerous material an d If cancer were determined would there be any

treatment for it.

Only if surgery would be an option and, of course, surgery would be quite invasive and necessitate anesthesia.

Yes, an MRI is the best imaging modality to spot a cancer - unfortunately a likely finding in a geriatric Boxer. Treatment options would include removal or debulking the cancer surgically followed by either chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or both. Treatment following surgery would be predicated upon what type of cancer is found upon biopsying it.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.