Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My little companion pony sometimes coughs and breaks wind at

Customer Question

My little companion pony sometimes coughs and breaks wind at the same time. Often this is very loud.

We do soak his hay for around half an hour before feeding it, and this does seem to help. It doesn't happen all the time. He is in at night and this is when I notice it. He does have a clean straw bed, the straw is good quality and not dusty at all and gets made up in the morning when he is out in the paddock for the day.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Eric's cough is sporadic, this may only be a way to clear his throat and not due to a medical condition. The pressure that he uses to do this cough will cause breaking wind at his rear end because of this pressure. You are doing everything very well in case this cough is due to an allergic response but the allergy may be due to something else. Try giving Eric Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs for 7 days to see if this makes a difference...if it does, then this is an allergic reaction to something else and this you will have to live with and use antihistamines when the situation is bad.

If the cough gets worse, then have your vet check Eric in case this is an Upper Respiratory Infection that may require medication.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I will try this.

That is great Jenny...I know how much we worry about our fur friends!

Thank you so much, Jenny, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day, Jenny!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try giving Eric Benadryl, but I don't worm my horses very often as I have worm counts done on their droppings. My vet told me this was fine as their droppings are picked up daily and there are only 3 horses at the most on the paddocks. I think I should worm for "lung worm" though, perhaps you could let me know?

Jenny

It certainly will not hurt, Jenny, to worm Eric with Ivermectin just in case....

Good luck, Jenny...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

You are always welcome, Jenny...I am sure Eric will do great with your love and care for him....