Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has just eaten 10 pods of.nespresso coffee and vomited

Customer Question

My dog has just eaten 10 pods of.nespresso coffee and vomited it back up again. Do i need to be concerned, he is a 1yr old terrier. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
There are 65mg of caffeine in each 1.35 fluid ounce capsule (pod). 10 pods, then, would contain 650mg of caffeine. ~20mg/kg of caffeine will cause mild agitation in dogs. If Benji has, indeed, vomited everything up, the math is moot. 650mg, however, would intoxicate a 32kg dog. Please let me know if all 10 pods reappeared!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is 5.5kg and it looks like he vomited mostly all up as there is a lot, and he has just pood some out too. s

Thank you. If it's been long enough after ingestion of those pods for it to come out the other end and he has remained non-agitated, his vomiting and/or diarrhea is likely to be the only symptoms you'll see. I would fast him for at least 6 hours after his last vomit and expect him to normalize completely within 12 hours. No lasting effects are expected.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Benji, please?