Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 5 month old kitten has diarrhoea all the time. when she

my 5 month old kitten has diarrhoea all the time. when she sneezes she expels a small amount of faeces. what could be causing this. She is a rescued cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Has she been dewormed?
4- Any nasal or eye discharge?
5- Is she currently on any medications?
6- Does feces ever come out involuntarily without sneezing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

eye swab taken no bacterial growth

about 1 month

yes wormed before we got her from rescue centre

yes some nasal and eye discharge

no medication and faeces comes out without sneezing sometimes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Did your vet treat the diarrhea with any medications? If so, what did they use?
2- How often is she sneezing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no medication given for diarrhea

4 or 5 times a day

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
What is the appearance of the nasal and eye discharge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

green and thick it is not runny

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is the green thick discharge in both, eyes & nose?
2- The swab submitted was from this discharge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes both her eyes and nose

yes swab taken from this discharge

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Joy, I am really surprised that they did not grow anything from the swab. The green color and thickness is highly suggestive of a bacterial infection. Your kitten has an upper respiratory infection with a bacterial component. I would highly recommend discussing with your vet about starting him on topical antibiotics for the eyes and oral antibiotics regardless of what the culture results were. As far as the episodes of the fecal incontinence, it is most likely secondary to the diarrhea, correcting the diarrhea will most likely correct the incontinence. Common causes in a kitten are intestinal parasites, diet, infections, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up over the counter in any human pharmacy (chemist) eyewash to flush eyes and clean with a moist gauze 3-4 times a day. Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow Ash to breath the vapor/steam for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day; this will clear her nasal passages. Request from family veterinarian topical antibiotics for the eyes and oral antibiotics.

2- Change diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular kitten food.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Repeat the deworming; I would use Fenbendazole (panacur), give it at label dose once a day for 5 days. It is only labeled for dogs but it can be used in cats. You can buy this in some pet stores, vet's office or online.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter