Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Thankyou for your assistance. My cat is on Vidalta 20mg a

Customer Question

Thankyou for your assistance. My cat is on Vidalta 20mg a day for hyperthyroidism. This week he was sick three times we think due to our painting a bedroom. However, the paint smell has faded almost away, certainly the rest of the house is not affected, but this week and today particularly we find the cat permanently at the drinking bowl, putting first one paw in then the other, drinking apparently copiously and knocking the bowl over from time to time. We have no idea what is going on. He has had a liver/kidney test which showed nothing. Cat is 18, still eating but behaving as if unwell. Please advise further action. Has he got dementia too?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Jacob's condition.

My fear would be that Jacob may have kidney issues but since this has been ruled out, this odd behavior could also be due to developing Diabetes which causes excessive thirst or a neurologic defect such as Dementia or other defect such as a tumor. The only way to know for sure is to have your vet perform further diagnostics such as Ultrasound and MRI to rule out a tumor or other metabolis issue such as Cushings disease that can cause this as well.

At Jacob's age, there is always a chance of a brain tumor or internal tumor that would cause this odd behavior.....seek out a specialist to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, William for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Jacob is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, William. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Jacob. Is he doing any better? Thanks!