Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
18160762

My dog cant keep anything down, he is vomiting when he eats

Customer Question

My dog cant keep anything down, he is vomiting when he eats anything.
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, myname is Dr. Paul. I am an emergency veterinarian and would be happy to help.

In a young Lab who can't keep anything down, by far the most common problem is an obstruction of the GI tract from eating something that they shouldn't have eaten.

If it has been more than 24 hours without him being able to keep anything down, he is likely significantly dehydrated. When the gut gets dehydrated, it stops moving, thereby exacerbating the problem.

Since you have tried re-feeding and he can't keep it down, your at-home options are very limited.

Next step is to get an x-ray of his belly to see if there is an obstruction. If there is definitively an obstruction, surgery is likely. If the films appear clear or are merely suspicious, some fluid therapy (likely IV at this point) is warranted, on order to rehydrate the gut and try to get anything that may be trying to become stuck to move on through. The mantra in my ER is that they're not obstructed until they're hydrated and obstructed.

Hope that helps. Please let me know what other questions you have.

Thanks,
Dr. Paul