Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My 10 month old Yorkshire Terrier is having her 1st season,,,She

My 10 month old Yorkshire Terrier is having her 1st season,,,She has had the bleeding, for almost a week, and that has stopped,,and now it seems She is desperate to mate!, it is quite an anxious time, as we have a Male Boxer dog, but She is more interested in my Daughters Female Bichon...oh please tell me, how long this will last? thank you Beryl Mills
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Beryl,
This is Dr. Christian. Typically this period during her cycle (called Estrus) can last anywhere from 5 to 13 days. Every dog is a little different and it can also vary between heat cycles in the same dog. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you Dr Christian, so Kizzie,s cycle will not last more than 13 days? Beryl

You're welcome. The attraction of phase should not last more than that. It's possible there might be a little discharge or swelling past that stage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kizzie has swollen "bits" and her teats are quite protruding, i,m just concerned about her "urge" to mate, and the Panting, it was quite extreme today, does this continue for longer than a day? i,ve never had a Female dog before, and was anxious because Kizzie was obviously quite distressed Beryl

It can be a little distressing with all those hormones racing through her body. Everything you've described is common in this situation. Her urge and the symptoms may last up to those 13 days but hopefully not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Dr Christian, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 2 weeks since i noticed Kizzie showing signs of her 1st season, i.e. constantly licking, shuffling her blankets, to get comfortable, and looking very tired, even though, i,ve tried to keep her calm, so hopefully, it is coming to an end, and peace will be restored :) thank you x Beryl

You're welcome Beryl. Good luck. The first part of the heat cycle (called proestrus) lasts anywhere from 4-20 days and that's what you were seeing before her current stage of the cycle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh my goodness, Dr Christian, so it,s correct that a Female Dogs' Cycle, lasts for 3 weeks or longer? ..Beryl

Yes it can but the "urge to mate" phase, or estrus, lasts for 5-13 days. Just another good reason to have her spayed. :) The heat cycle occurs twice yearly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ooh :( so if i get Kizzie "Spayed" she will no longer have "Seasons" or the "Urge" to "Mate"?..i know when i took her for her needles, my Vet said i could get her Spayed after her 1st season, would this be a big operation? i was too scared to ask my vet, and as Kizzie was only 10 weeks old, it didnt seem Important at the time..Beryl

Spaying will definitely remove her urge to mate and the heat cycle. During the spay surgery the uterus and both ovaries are removed so that she no longer has the hormones for the heat cycle and none of this will ever occur again. While it is not a small operation it is also very safe when done properly. Veterinarians do this surgery daily so it is routinely done without problems. It is an important service to prevent pet overpopulation. In addition, the incidence of breast cancer in female dogs is greatly reduced when they are spayed. Every heat cycle she goes through the chances of breast cancer occurring later in life go up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Dr Christian, thank you for all your advice,,i will think about all you have told me, i absolutely love Her, and obviously want what is best for her, not sure i could put her through the pain of an operation, but the "Cancer" thing is very scary, so i will consider the op, very carefully, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your help...Beryl

You are welcome Beryl. I would never hesitate to have her spayed. The surgical pain is a temporary thing (usually a couple of days) and the benefits are huge. There is another condition called pyometra that is a life threatening infection in older dogs that are not spayed. When that condition occurs the only correction is a spay surgery but now they are older and very sick so the risks are very large. Definitely get her spayed. Good luck.