Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is it ok to give an old cocker spaniel on vivitonin from the

Customer Question

Is it ok to give an old cocker spaniel on vivitonin from the vet, disprol for children (soluble paracetamol)?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I am very glad you asked this first and did not just go ahead and dose your dog, Paracetamol is quite unsuitable for dogs because of problems with side effects and toxicity.

Scott Nimmo :

You do have one reasonably safe option, on a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

Aspirin should be fine with the vivitonin by the way ...

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very clear
Scott Nimmo :

I hope this helps you ...

Hello again Catherine,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Millie's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours, so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Catherine,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Millie is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott