Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi I think my pet rabbit has fur mites as his coat is flaky

Customer Question

I think my pet rabbit has fur mites as his coat is flaky around the nape of the neck and he also had a bald patch near his tail which has now grown back in. We have tried Johnsons Insecticidal spray for 3 weeks and no change to the area in the nape of his neck. We have also thoroughly cleaned and disinfected his hutch and surrounding areas.

Any suggestions appreciated

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me the active ingredient in the spray you used?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr B,

Thank you for your response. The active ingredient is Permethrin in the Johnsons insecticidal spray.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, Jennifer.

Now if we are seeing hair loss and seeing a crusting to the skin or dander without any inflammation or pustules(especially over the shoulders and tail base), I would advise that the mite called Cheyletiella (sometimes referred to as ‘walking dandruff) is quite suspect here.

Cheyletiella, is one of the "fur mites" and is a surface mite that lives on the skin and causes skin irritation for the rabbits. Since it burrows under the skin (hence causing the dander), it can be difficult to totally clear it with sprays and permethrin is a bit a hit or miss at ridding rabbits of this mite. To diagnose this, your vet would just need to examine a sample of the dander under the microscope. Otherwise, treatment for this mite is usually better accomplished by using an ivermectin based topical mite medication (ie Xeno). The advantage of the topical treatments is that they are absorbed by the skin and therefore able to get to the mite anywhere on the body and under its dander "fort". And in case Buzz has any friends, all in contact animals (even if they look clear of the mite) need to be treated at the same time.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr B,

Thank you very much for your advice and recommendations. It has been very helpful and re assuring as we weren't really sure what action to take next.

Many Thanks and have a lovely weekend

Kindest regards

Jennifer

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Jennifer.

I am glad I could help you plan your next step with Buzz. Do try him with the Xeno (of course do make sure to get a weight of him before applying to make sure you give the right dose). And if you treat him per the instructions (two times two weeks apart) we will hopefully see this settle for him.

A grand weekend to you as well,

Dr. B.