Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

Hi, my springer spaniel is 11yr old and has a big lump in his

Customer Question

Hi, my springer spaniel is 11yr old and has a big lump in his lymphoid gland he has a ear infection and has been treated with antibiocs and sterriods for the last 7 weeks, he seems 2 be getting no better, help please
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 3 years ago.

Sophie-Vet :

Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a registered veterinarian and I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

I am sorry to hear your dog has a bad ear infection, they are often really painful. Has your vet tested the ears at all?

Sophie-Vet :

I will wait online and hopefully we can chat soon.

Customer: Yes the vet said an lnner ear infection. He has been prescribed the same medication which has not really helped him. He is a totally different dog whereby he is very lethargic compared to 2\3 months ago. With regards XXXXX XXXXX lumps, would it be better to get him put to sleep. Its just that I don't want to see my dog in pain.
Sophie-Vet :

Well the lumps you describe could well be reactive lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are glands where the body deals with infection and usually once the infection is resolved the lumps will return in normal. There are some circumstances where this is not true, like infections with cancer.

Sophie-Vet :

Ear infections do not always respond to first line treatment and in cases where we suspect the bacteria may be resistant it is really important to get a sample of the discharge of ear. This can be examined under the microscope to determine what kind of infection we are treating as often hard to treat infections can be mixed infections with yeast, bacteria or fungus.

Sophie-Vet :

It also means the bacteria can be grown in the laboratory and cultured to test it against different antibiotics and determine the most effective treatment. Ear infections are rarely a cause for euthanasia. In very severe infections your pet may need an ear flush (like syringing the ears) to remove some of the debris in the ear canal and in very rare cases the ear canal can be surgically removed to treat persistent or recurring infections.

Sophie-Vet :

I'm sorry I was not online earlier. I have a sick dog at the moment. I hope that this information will help you to get an overall picture of how ear infections are usually treated and allow you to discuss a good treatment plan with your veterinarian.

Sophie-Vet :

If you want any more information at all please do not hesitate to reply (it's free to follow up!) and I am always happy to help.

Sophie-Vet :

I wish you all the best with Louis

Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been back to the vet who has recommended Louis has an operation on his ear. They said they will go just past the ear drum and make an incision. How much is this type of operation likely to cost and what will happen if he doesn't have the op?
Hey there, glad to hear from you. I am UK based, but here in the UK this op would cost perhaps £1500 with aftercare etc or approx. $2400. Howver it could be significantly cheaper if you don't need culture tests or the op is not a complete 'TECA - total ear canal ablation'. It will depend on the severity and therefore the anaesthetic drugs needed and the time in theatre.
Does this help at all? Hope so. Sophie