Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My 11 year old labrador was perfectly healthy in August/sept

My 11 year old labrador was perfectly healthy in August/sept 2013. He has since lost all of his body fat and most of his muscles. Our vet was treating him with a blue liver tablet and steroids. There was another tablet but I don't recall it's purpose. Henry our pet lab has been a fabulous dog and we want to try everything to help him to survive but equally need to know when to let him go. His appetite is variable but generally he will eat most days. Any ideas. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help but I have a few questions.

Have any tests been done such as blood work and x-rays or ultrasound?
Has he had any diarrhea or been vomiting?
Other than weight loss are there any other symptoms?
What is his current dose of steroid and his weight?
Do you know the brand name of the blue liver tablet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he had blood tests and ultrasound. All ok. Vet thinks he had hepatitis.

No diarrhoea or vomiting

I am not at home this week so don't have the tablets at the moment. He is taking 2 steroid tablets a day
Thank you for answering those questions Peter. I'm going to assume that his liver values on ultrasound were abnormal but if that's not true let me know. Unfortunately with hepatitis it is usually a matter of controlling the symptoms rather than curing them and this sort of situation is common. One consideration would be to start feeding him a diet designed to help his liver (if you aren't already). For instance, hill's science diet LD is an excellent choice in these situations. It won't cure the situation but will help slow it down. Another option would be to have a liver biopsy done if it hasn't already. In many cases a biopsy can be taken with a needle and ultrasound without actually having to do surgery. There are so many different causes of hepatitis that this might be able to pinpoint what it is going and treat it more effectively. Hepatitis can be a frustrating disease. My general rule of thumb for the decision of euthanasia would be that there are more bad days than good, loss of appetite or uncontrollable diarrhea/vomiting. It doesn't sound like he is quite at that point yet. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok we will try to find that food. He is just so weak now but his temperament means he still battles on.

You're welcome. Good luck. I hope it helps him.