SmAnimalVet
SmAnimalVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
25557073

my grey hound is quiet a nervous dog and has baldy thigh syndrome

Customer Question

my grey hound is quiet a nervous dog and has baldy thigh syndrome is there anything I can give him to calm him down and increase the hair growth again?
Expert:  SmAnimalVet replied 3 years ago.

SmAnimalVet :

Hi there

SmAnimalVet :

For greyhound hair loss, the best treatment is melatonin. You can give 6 mg twice daily and that should help to regrow the hair. It is about the only medication that we have.

SmAnimalVet :

The anxiety issue can be a bit tougher. We see a number of greyhounds that have to go on anti-anxiety medications. During the time that they are on them, you try your best to get them acclimated to a number of environments and see if this will help them to calm down. I have tried a number of over-the-counter products as well. One that sometimes works is called a thunder shirt...is goes around the body and acts like a blanket. Some greyhounds respond very well to that. They are also some over-the-counter anxiety mediciations but honestly I don't think I would waste my money...most are not super effective, especially with greynounds who are a breed of their own.

SmAnimalVet :

I hope that helps!

SmAnimalVet :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.