Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I took my dog to the vet yesterday. She had had bloody stools

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet yesterday. She had had bloody stools for 24 hrs. She was checked out, seemed to be normal, I was given a special food for her which she ate happily yesterday, then last night was restless again, more blood - I suspect she was eating some plant in the garden as when she came in she defecated more blood and some green stuff. Bright red blood, and now she won't eat. The vet said to bring her back in a week if she wasn't better.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bella.

1 week!
No way. Absolutely, you get into your vet tomorrow or find a new vet.

When the stool also has a oily, mucoid/jelly, or blood in it that suggests colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large intestine.
Colitis in Dogs

Common medications prescribed by veterinarians for colitis include:

Flagyl
and
Sulfasalazine

Definitely, especially some flagyl (metronidazole) could really help the intestinal tract.

A probiotic would probably be nice as well.
Very sorry that Bella is restless now.
That green stuff is when the intestinal tract is really out of whack and moving intestinal fluids at an irregular rate through the gut.

If she won't eat the special food:
Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

Also, with the symptoms persisting, you may now need to seriously consider getting some abdominal x-rays taken to ensure there is nothing foreign stuck inside.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance? I was not sure if my answer was satisfactory.