Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my eleven year old american bulldog has diarrhea she is not

my eleven year old american bulldog has diarrhea she is not off her food and still quite bubbly she seems to be a bit thirsty
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is Maddie?
2- Is she spayed?
3- The diarrhea continues after fasting for 24 hours and then feeding rice and chicken?
4- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
5- Is she on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

maddie is eleven yes she is spayed. yes I think she is drinking a bit more than usual.no she is not on any medication.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sandra, diarrhea can be caused by either problems that occur within the gastrointestinal tract like an infection, parasites, dietary indiscretion, etc. Or, secondary to a systemic disease like diabetes, kidney or liver disease, etc. In this case, the fact that Maddie may be drinking more than usual I would want to rule out systemic causes as all of the above mentioned diseases can cause the patient to drink more than usual. In other words, her drinking more than usual could be an indication of any of the above diseases and the reason why she has diarrhea.
You have done right fasting her and changing her diet to rice and chicken. The next step is a hands on exam by a veterinarian and some testing (blood work & urinalysis) as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Once the primary problem is identified, treated and corrected the drinking more and diarrhea will improve. Highly recommend having her checked today by family vet for the above test. In the meantime continue on a rice and boiled boneless chicken diet. Supplement with a probiotic, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store. Do Not give anti diarrheal medications like Bismuth or Imodium, these can make certain conditions worst.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter