Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi I accidentally fed my cane corso cross mastiff sweet corn

hi I accidentally fed my cane corso cross mastiff sweet corn mixed with his normal meal which is usually fresh chicken breast rice and vegetables his stools were fine until he had the sweet corn now he's been up all night for the past 2 nights with the runs I'm worried as I know their digestive trac is very delicate how can I help him many thank's Adam
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Adam. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Adam, it is very common when dogs eat something out of the ordinary to get the runs. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If you do not see improvement within 24 hours of doing the above he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok that's great thank's very much for the advice I will try that thank's again Adam

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Adam.