Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi can please someone help me with some informations about

Customer Question

Hi can please someone help me with some informations about my little cat who is having coronavirus? Please,please!!!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Tom. FIP is the most common infectious cause of central nervous system (brain, spinal cord) disease but FIP can't be diagnosed with a coronavirus titer alone. Signs referable to cerebellomedullary involvement are most common - ataxia ("drunken sailor"), spastic paresis (weakness), head tilt, nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth), hyperesthesia (overly sensitive to stimuli), proprioceptive deficits (not knowing where one's feet are in relation to the rest of one's body), blindness and behavioral changes) - and we might see non-neurologic signs such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments), chorioretinitis, respiratory infections, mesenteric lymphadenopathy, dehydration, weight loss, lethargy, fever, and pica (eating non-food items).

As you can see we need a preponderance of evidence to have a high suspicion of FIP. The presence of anti-coronavirus antibodies in either serum or cerebrospinal fluid proves only that Tom has been exposed to a coronavirus and is not a means of definitively diagnosing FIP. It can be quite a challenge confirming FIP without MRI and cerebrospinal fluid analysis.

Unfortunately, steroids and antibiotics won't be helpful for cats suffering from the neurologic form of FIP but might be if there is an inflammatory problem in Tom's central nervous system unrelated to FIP. I've thrown a lot at you at once. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Tom, please?