Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

One of my male guinea pigs has lost weight over the last few

Customer Question

One of my male guinea pigs has lost weight over the last few months .He is still very active and eats well , twice in recent weeks i have found blood i his cage ithink via his urine on these occasions he was lethargic for aday but soon recovered ?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not uncommon for Guinea pigs to develop a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). This blood you see is probably coming from this. They cabn also have this from Kidney or bladder stones. If this is the case, Wiggles will act normal until there is irritation from this stone and then he will be in some pain until it moves.

For this reason, have your vet checl Wiggles to know for sure. If this is a UTI, antibiotics will resolve this for Wiggles.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Patricia, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Wiggles condition.

Have a wonderful day!