Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have just taken on a lovely beagle called Theo after my

Customer Question

We have just taken on a lovely beagle called Theo after my brother in law passed away. He is 5 years old and is showing all the usual beagle tendencies i.e. wants to follow every scent he picks up. I have 2 questions. The first is, would an electric dog collar (which we appreciate needs careful management and instruction) be worth trying in order to control this running off behavior or are we wasting our time. We live in open countryside and woodland which is full of deer and wildlife and perfect for dogs but we obviously cant have Theo running around out of control. Presently we have kept him on a lead but with ever lengthening arms there is a limit to how long we can persevere like this. Our XXXXX XXXXX is perfectly behaved by comparison. After long careful training she happily runs off but will come when called and is a pleasure to walk. Are we biting off more than we can chew with this beagle or is there hope????

The second question is, he has what looks like a dirty streak of tears from one eye. On close inspection there appears to be a tiny hole beneath his eye that is weeping. We are going to take him to the vet to check it out but can you tell me if its something that is common or not.

Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, an Ultrasonic Collar will really help teach Theo to not run off. There are also invisible fences that are effective for this also. Use the collar and vwhen he retuirns, praise him and give him treats. I have personal experience with this and the collar was very effective and only needed to be used a couple times until Theo will get the idea. There is hope...if you have the time to work with him, he will do great.

I am not sure about the eye weeping but it may be that he has a minor infection in this area or that he is over producing tears from a defect in the tear ducts...this is not serious but may require treatment so Theo is more comfortable. Your vet will have to do a close inspection and testing to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Loretta

We have "lost" Theo for nearly 5 hours today so your reply has probably stopped us from giving up on him. We will invest in a collar and careful training and see how it goes. Many thanks indeed.

His eye seems fine. It seems to be a little split about half and inch below his tear duct in the skin under his eye?? Could it have been a cut that just has never healed over?

Good for you, Leigh...give this more time or even try the Invisible Fence...the Innotek Collar is very good for teaching Theo to come back...

Often, there is an old cut that may weep....if this drainage is not pus like, this may be a minor issue.

You are doing great, Leigh...it is is so great that you are taking Theo on...it will be worth it in the end...your brother in law would be happy....that you were willing to help his old friend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are a bit encouragement and we will buy the Innotek Collar. Many thanks for your reassurance and help. It's much appreciated. The good news is, after his 5 hours running around, he was too exhausted to run off during his walk this afternoon!

Big thank you - especially from Theo!

You are very welcome, Leigh...I know how scary it is when they run off....I am sure, with your love and care for Theo, that he will get the idea.

I hope you and Theo have a great day!!

Thank you so much, Leigh, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Theo's issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We will do and thank you again.

You are very welcome, Leigh....Theo will do great!