Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have had my cat for nearly 3 years and she is fully house

Customer Question

I have had my cat for nearly 3 years and she is fully house trained but recently has started peeing on the bathroom or kitchen floor instead of going outside, at least 2 or 3 times a week. any ideas of how to cure her of this?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me .... has she a litter tray indoors?

Customer:

No. she did 3 years ago before she was housetrained but hasn't had since then

Scott Nimmo :

OK, thanks for that, I will work on the basis she does not have a litter tray although providing one could be a last resort if all else fails { cont. }

Customer:

She has a cat flap which she uses all the time so she has access to the outdoors at all times

Scott Nimmo :

Tempting though it is scolding her or rubbing her nose in it is not going to help, in fact it could cause confusion and make things worse { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

My first recommendation is always to have your cat examined by your vet in case this is some sort of medical problem. Consider urinary tract infections for example { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

If she gets the all clear from the vet then if this is not a medical problem then it must be a behavioural problem, lets work through some solutions ...

Scott Nimmo :

1. When you clean up after where she has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solution you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to the cat it will still smell it afterwords, and if the place smells like a public toilet to a cat she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while ... { cont. }

Scott Nimmo :

2. Some cats start to be dirty in the house because they are marking out their territory in response to some anxiety, another cat in the neighborhood etc. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. It is used a lot in the UK, I will give you a link ...

Scott Nimmo :

Check this out ... http://www.feliway.com/uk/

Scott Nimmo :

3. Finally 5. Some cats respond to low level tranquilisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

Scott Nimmo :

4. Well at least there are a few ideas to start to work through, it is a frustrating problem but with patience and perseverance the majority of cats will respond. And as I said if the above fails then consider putting a litter tray in a strategic place ...

Customer:

Ok thank you. I will take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have an infection and then work my way through the list to see what works!

Scott Nimmo :

Sounds like a good plan ... good luck with her ...

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further ... ?

Customer:

No, that's all thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for your advice

No problem Debra,

Very glad to have advised you...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Debra,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Jezebel's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }