Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

biting and scratching back flank hair loss thrist age 10

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Kelti is suffering from an allergic reaction which could be due to fleas that were there before the flea treatment and the best treatment for this is as follows:

1. Give Kelti Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat Kelti according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Sandra, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Kelti's condition.

Have a wonderful day!