Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hello there, I have been keeping Leopard Geckos for nearly

Customer Question

Hello there,

I have been keeping Leopard Geckos for nearly three years and I've no problems with their health but now I have a problem. One of my Leopard Geckos is very ill. She has not eaten in the last week at least and has had trouble shedding her skin?

On day three of her not eating I gave her a warm bath and gently massaged her belly thinking it could be impaction, also I hoped it would help her shed?

I bought Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid and sprayed it on her dead dried skin and around her eye which has become closed due to the skin around it. It has not worked and now she is lethargic, her skin is grey and flaky between the bumps of her scales and she has hard dry skin on her back and head.

Please Help?

Yours, Hopefully
Freymay
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

There is a distinct possibility that she is having retained sheds of her eyelids if she's having such trouble shedding. When this happens Gecko's have difficulty seeing and therefore most will not eat. What you need to do is keep up the warm soaking. Submerge her for 10 min (but not her head obviously) in warm water twice daily until all the shedding is gone from her body, this will help her with her hydration as well. The next thing is you need to get human artificial tears eye drops from a local pharmacy and put this in both eyes 2-3x daily. Within a week she should be able so see better and eat better. If this is not helping then a vet should check under her eyelids for small pieces of retained shed. If none are there then she should be tested for the parasite cryptosporidium which is the next most common cause of sudden unexplained not eating and dehydration especially in Leopard Geckos.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan